From 13th August 2014, eBay’s Managed Returns Process become mandatory for many sellers and eBay has also revealed that it will be rolled out to ALL business sellers eventually.
So if you haven’t already received an email from eBay, it’s time to learn all about Managed Returns on eBay, so that you are fully prepared when the time comes.
But first of all, what is managed returns and how does it work?
Well basically, it is an automated return process available to buyers on eBay which means that they can return an item for a refund, without having to first contact you.
This is how it works:
- The buyer selects that they want to return an item via My eBay.
- The buyer selects the reason for the return.
- The buyer is then given a label to print and attach to the item.
- They then take the item to either a Collect+ drop-off point or Royal Mail (depending on which they chose in Step 3) and the item is sent tracked back to you.
Then, as the seller, you have to:
- Inspect the item once it’s received.
- Issue a refund and get your final value fee credit automatically (plus you can relist your item for free).
Now on the face of it, there is nothing wrong with this at all…
All good sellers know how important a clear and simple returns policy and process are to buyers so in theory, this ‘retail-like’ system introduced by eBay should increase buyer confidence, and therefore sales. [Read more...]