Something very strange and unexpected happened on this blog last year… I wrote a post about an eBay update and it was pretty much all good news!
Shocking I know, as “eBay update” and “good news” usually don’t come hand in hand.
8 months on from that historic event and we have another eBay update to deal with – so will it be back to normal or is it more good news for us sellers?
Let’s find out!
We’ll delve into each one in more detail to find out exactly what the changes are and what they mean to us, but overall the Spring 2017 update can be grouped into a few main categories:
- Emphasis on buyer friendly return policies – in eBay’s own words, they’re going to be “rewarding sellers who offer buyer friendly returns policies with greater visibility to their listings”.
- Updates to seller performance standards – there are some positive changes being made to performance standards when selling abroad BUT the maximum allowed late delivery rate is being lowered for top rated sellers.
- Category changes – eBay are again making some changes to the product categories and sub-categories, which is all to do with trying to align themselves to general industry standards and make it easier for product identifiers to be used.
- Seller Hub developments – there are also some updates to Seller Hub, which I’m excited to see as I’m already pretty happy with the whole idea (though just so I don’t give eBay too much credit, they did borrow heavily from Amazon here!).
- General policy updates – nothing too important here (unless you sell custom items that require printing!) but we’ll still go over it nonetheless.
- Changes to international eBay sites – including both .com as well as the 4 major European sites – .de, .fr, .it, and .es
And that’s the overview of this eBay update, but let’s now go into each change in more detail and see whether it’s good or bad news!
Buyer Friendly Return Policies
This is the area I’m most interested in, for two reasons – firstly because I already offer a very generous returns policy in my eBay businesses and I was hoping that eBay were going to reward this with a boost in search rankings. [Read more…]